A cleanse friendly recipe …
This soup can be made with leftover rice, thus reducing the cooking time by 30 minutes. Leftover, cooked chicken or turkey can also be added to the soup. Sauteing the vegtables well brings out their natural sweetness. This is a key to developing flavour in any dish that calls for sautéing vegtables.
- 7 cups vegtable stock
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium diced onion
- 1 cup each chopped carrots, celery, parsnips
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. thyme
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring stock and rice to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions, carrots, celery and parsnips in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and vegetables START to soften.
- Add garlic and spices and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Transfer veggie mix to stock. Continue cooking for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Just before serving, add parsley and heat through.
- Adjust seasoning and serve. Enjoy!